Pages

Friday, May 4, 2012

Thomas & Friends birthday party bunting (fabric)

Here's some bunting I made for the LO's first birthday party! As I mentioned before, his party theme is Thomas  & Friends.

Not going to write out a tutorial, but here's the method I used:
  • I did some light math and determined how many triangles I wanted, how far apart, and how large they should be.
  • Based on those measurements, drew and cut out my Isosceles Triangle pattern.
  • Cut out twice as many triangles as I wanted to end up with, so that each would have a front and back.
  • Sewed down each of the longer two sides, right-sides together.
  • Turned them right-side out and pressed.
  • Pinned and sewed them into thrifted double-fold bias tape, one seam at the top and one at the bottom of the tape.
I used a red paisley fabric from Gramma's stash. I was hoping it would  give off a train engineer's bandanna vibe, but truthfully, it was the only red in the stash. I bought a yard of the only Thomas cotton that Jo-Ann's had (before I found these fat quarters), but some of it ended up getting used in the quilt anyway. Yellow bias tape was the best match I had, and goes with Thomas's painted on number "1".

It'll hang in his room when the party's over.

I made a paper bunting too (haven't taken pics yet), and the quilt is actually done (camera died with pics on the cam's "hard drive")... watch for both here soon.

Thomas & Friends Fabric Bunting
Materials: red fabric (free - stash), Thomas the Tank fabric ($9.99 with a 50% coupon ~ $5 - Jo-Ann), bias tape (.50 cents - thrift store), thread
Total cost: ~$5.50
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...