Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Colette Sorbetto: Thomas & Friends

This is my second go at Colette's Sorbetto.

Yes, it is Thomas the Tank Engine, and yes, I am a 31-year-old woman.

Normally, my frugal ways would have me turn away from a top I can only wear once (my son's birthday party). But I actually justified the time and money put into this top by deciding that I'll also be that nerdy mom who wears it to Day out With Thomas in the Santa Cruz Mountains later this summer, whenever we take the baby to Sonoma Train Town, and when we get around to riding the Skunk Train with my in-laws. Heck, I've never ridden the Niles Canyon Railway, and it's in my own backyard-- maybe it's time I took the kiddo there in my Thomas shirt, too. Are there any other train excursions in the greater Bay Area/NorCal I left out?

Onto the top: I cut a size smaller on the sides and shoulder this time, but left it an 18 on the length, armholes, and neckline. It fits much, much better than the Granny Shorts Sorbetto, but there's still room for improvement. I know what many people like about the Sorbetto is the hip room, but even though I'm plus-sized, I find the hips too roomy and will cut it straighter down the sides next time.

For bias tape I used the stuff I intended to be quilt binding here, so the exposed bias facing is pretty wide and very stiff... it kinda makes the neckline and armhole sit up strangely, which I don't mind. What bothers me more about the bias tape is how the polka dots are just kinda a couple of rows here and there. Oh, well.

Oh yeah, I also sewed the bias tape down either side of the pleat, like flat piping.

Only two more Thomas posts to go-- I promise.
Thomas & Friends Tank Top
Pattern: Colette Sorbetto (free)
Materials: Thomas & Friends quilting cotton (~$6/yd - WalMart), red polka dot fabric (free - Gramma)
Total Cost: Under $10, probably around $8
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...