This is my rendition of the Heartfelt Gaiter posted on Craftzine, and the last project my beloved Grandmother helped me on before she died on March 12th. I finished it in February, and it's my first ever attempt at cableing. The project calls for size 15 16" to 24" circular needles, but I only had 29" needles. I ended up adding an extra cable repetition to the pattern to accomodate my long needle, good thing I did because otherwise it would not go over my head. Clearly my gauge was off... (I never checked it). I used two strands of Lion Brand acrylic. I also STILL need to weave in those ends!
Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Tuesday, March 30, 2010
She's a paint horse. You can see I just sort of slathered the frosting on with a spatula and butter knife as opposed to piping it on. She's based on this cake, and I for the most part followed that template when I cut the two cakes up and pieced them together, but when it came time to decorate the cake, I took some liberties. I left out the halter, used pretzels instead of licorice for her mane, and used M&M's for her eyes and notril. I also used used a rectangle pan for parts C & D instead of a square pan, which meant less wasted cake.
As cake decorating goes, I'd probably call it a Fail-- a cake only a mother could love. Both my brother and I though the cake looked more like a mule than a horse. But mom sure liked it and that's what matters!