Pages

Friday, May 4, 2012

Before & After: Grandma shorts Sorbetto

I've jumped onto the Sorbetto bandwagon by making one from a pair of Granny shorts. Literally.

These started out as a pair my late Gramma's shorts... and basically ended up as one of her shirts.

I was hoping that the yellow bias tape and contemporary pattern would make the shirt look "younger", but to me it really does look like something my Gramma would've worn. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm still wearing it-- and I even got a compliment on it, but it was one of those that she might as well have said "wow, that's some top you got there!" compliments.

I'll probaby wear it a couple of times more. Which may be all it lasts-- I noticed a couple of small holes AFTER I'd already cut the pattern and decided to sew it anyway.

As for the Sorbetto pattern, I'm making it again, but I'm cutting it smaller. My bust is 45", so I followed the pattern's advice, which says:
Colette Patterns have less ease than many other patterns to provide a closer, more tailored fit. If you are between sizes, choose the larger size.
Yeaaaah, not so much. I made the largest size and was swimming in it. I had to take it in on the sides, and even then my husband was calling it my "short and wide" top. I could stand to go down one or even two sizes in it.

NOT that I'm complaining about a totally awesome free pattern.
Granny Shorts Sorbetto
Pattern: Colette Sorbetto
Pattern alterations: smaller pleat to fit my fabric and lengthened slightly
Fabric: Gramma's shorts (free)
Notions: Yellow bias tape (.50 cents - thrifted)
Time to make: an afternoon
Total cost: ~.50 cents
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...