Pages

Friday, November 4, 2011

Vintage Advertising: Coke vs. Pepsi

I'm a Dr. Pepper drinker, but if I had to choose between Coca-Cola and Pepsi, it's DIET Pepsi all the way. But if I had to choose between their mid-century advertising, it's Coke all the way.

One of my top five favorite blogs, How to be a Retronaut, posted these vintage Coke and Pepsi ads just days apart. I find the Coca-Cola ads to be more brightly colored, have better fashion, and are decidedly less tawdry than the Pepsi ads (although the Coke ads still have an element of innuendo to them).

Source: flickr.com via Elisha on Pinterest

"Drink Coke at a party and be hit on by George Clooney while his wonky cousin looks on in the background." (LOVE the Kelly green sheath dress).


"Drink Pepsi at a party and be  hit on by some old man while you pretend you're distracted"

Source: flickr.com via Elisha on Pinterest

"Drink Coke in a swimsuit and look charming and demure."


"Drink Pepsi in a swimsuit and be ogled by a smarmy dude."


This houndstooth suit is awesome! Ideas for my recent houndstooth purchase. And Pepsi is slimming? News to me! (Incidentally, I shouldn't be drinking soda at all because I'm pretty sure it's single-handedly responsible for my current weight. But I'm addicted.)

Source: flickr.com via Elisha on Pinterest

Neighbors exchanging knowing looks re: their Cokes. Offer your neighbor "some Coke" these days, and it could go much differently.

The Coke ads are from the 1960s and are illustrated by Pete Hawley, the original source is flickr user leifpeng. The Pepsi ads are from the mid-to-late 50s and are either unsigned or have varying artists, they come from American Art Archives. More images at the links!

How about you? Coke or Pepsi? (Or Dr. P?)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...